Pancakes HAPPEN to be my favourite food ( besides peanut butter!)
Growing up I would ask my mom for pancakes…daily!
BUT, how do you make pancakes ‘ smart!?’
Ta – da! Make sure they are LOADED in protein!
Protein at breakfast or supper helps to stabilize blood sugar, balance hormones and get RID of night time sugar cravings.
25 grams of protein within 1 hour of waking up is key.
What does that look like?
- 3/4 cup of 2% cottage cheese with 1 cup of blueberries and 20 almonds
- 1 scoop of Vegan protein powder ( I like a combo of brown rice and hemp) + 1 cup of fresh or frozen berries blended
- 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt + 1 cup of berries
- 3 boiled eggs + 1 whole grain gluten- free toast with 1 Tablespoon of unsweetened almond butter
- Protein Pancakes- my FAV!Protein Pancakes! Recipe as featured in Chatelaine Magazine!Makes 2 large pancakes or 4 small ones.
- My favourite meal of all time is pancakes! My mother has been making these for me ever since I can remember! These freeze so well and can be popped into the toaster for those rushed mornings. A perfect and delicious way to get your protein in- the Smart Way!
1/2 cup cottage cheese (2%)
1/2 cup oatmeal (quick cooking and wheat- free)
2 whole organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons coconut oilDirections
1. Add all of the above ingredients to a blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.2. Heat coconut oil on medium heat onto a non stick frying pan and allow to become very hot ( 1- 2 mintues)
3. Pour half of the pancake batter onto the heated frying pan.
4. Allow to cook on medium heat.
5. When you start to see bubbles forming at the top of the pancake, flip pancake over.
6. Allow to cook on the other side.
Calories From Fat: 17
Total Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 2.3 mg
Sodium: 341.8 mg
Potassium: 236.7 mg
Carbohydrates: 16.5 g
Fibre: 2.4 g
Sugar: 2.5 g
Protein: 17 g
*Calculated from recipe ingredients per 2 pancakes
Makes four 4-inch pancakes
- Live Life Delicious! xo Kathy Smart Any other great protein breakfast ideas out there? Make sure to share below!