So here it is.
The answer to the question that is burning in everyone’s mind this time of year in Ontario as asparagus stands pop up on the road side.
Why Does My Pee Smell After Eating Asparagus?
There is a legit reason actually. Even Austin Powers knew about the effect asparagus in the classic scene at the water fountain.
But WHAT causes this.
I will tell you.
French novelist Marcel Proust famously wrote in 1913 that asparagus “transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume.” And one British men’s club is said to have put up a sign reading, “During the asparagus season, members are requested not to relieve themselves in the hat stand.”
Depending on which study you read, between 22% and 50% of the population report having pungent pee after eating asparagus. But that doesn’t mean only some people’s bodies generate that smell. Researchers believe that, during digestion, the vegetable’s sulfurous amino acids break down into smelly chemical components in all people. And because those components are “volatile,” meaning airborne, the odour wafts upward as the urine leaves the body and can be detected as soon as 15 minutes after you eat this spring delicacy. (source Web MD)
So, now that you know WHY this happens, lets just embrace it and enjoy this time of year with a seasonal asparagus salad.
Grilled Rhubarb and Asparagus Salad
- 4 cups of greens ( I like arugula or baby spinach)
- 4 stalks of rhubarb- grilled. ( to grill rhubarb heat a grill or BBQ and grill for 3 minutes each side) After grilling, cut rhubarb into chunks.
- 1 pound of asparagus, steamed, ( you can also grill the asparagus with the same method as above for rhubarb.)
- 1 can of black beans, drained. ( 355 ml can)
- 1/2 cup each of sliced green onions and fresh strawberries.
- 1/2 cup of crumbled goat feta cheese.
Sunshine Salad Dressing
‘ Sunshine’ used to be my nickname. This is one of the VERY first recipes I ever wrote.
- 4 Tablespoons of fresh flax oil
- 3 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of pure maple syrup. ( you can read all about the benefits of maple syrup in my Huffington Post article here)
- 1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper and sea salt
Take the sunshine salad dressing ingredients and whisk together until emulsified.
Take 4 plates and place 1/4 of each of all of the above ingredients on a plate and layer like in the picture above.
Live Life Delicious, Happy and Above All Else~ Be Kinder Than Necessary.
Kathy Smart ( AKA Sunshine- always and forever) 🙂